Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flood Moments

Wow!!! Never in my life have I seen anything more crazy in Nashville then THE FLOOD! Driving around Saturday, I didn't think much of it. You know, just the normal rain that comes quite often here lately. It just kept getting harder and by about 4 in the afternoon it was getting BAD. Erin, Aubrey, and I were driving to the BA Dance Show and every road we turned on was getting closed because certain parts were flooding. Sunday, the same thing happened. By Monday, there was over a billion dollars worth in damage and EVEN Brentwood Academy had cancelled school. There are so many people that need help. Just the other day, I was riding my bike through River Oaks with a friend. I hadn't been able to go inside a flooded house and help anyone yet, but this lady was cleaning off her porch and looked like she needed help. My friend and I went over there and soon found out it was Mrs. Yarbrough ad BA mom. She gave us a tour of her house, which was devastating. We were able to help her clean her porch and she was so grateful. I truly didn't know how bad the damage was until Mrs. Yarbrough showed me her house. The entire downstairs had been ripped up and they weren't even living there at the moment. As we were riding our bikes away all I could think of, was God doesn't guarenteed (sp) anyone tomorrow...only today and WHY IN THE WORLD DID THE LORD CHOOSE MY HOUSE TO BE SAFE? I very well could have had a flooded and demolished house, but by the Grace of God I didn't and I will forever be thankful. As I went home and told my mom about helping Mrs. Yarbrough she told me she had just talked to her a week before the flood. Their house had been on the market recently and it was one parents wanted to buy. My mom said her and Mrs. Yarbrough had talked about if our house sold had sold, we possibly would have made an offer on there house and if ours did sell this summer was she still interested in selling hers? Mrs. Yarbrough said yes and was giving my mom details of the house. She said they had always had flood insurence (sp) but at the beginning of this year decided not to renew it because of putting the house on the market, plus it hadn't flooded in 10 years. 1 week later their entire downstairs was flooded with no insurence (sp) to cover the damages. That could have been my house. My mom always complains about our house not selling. By the Grace of My Savior it hadn't sold yet, because if it had there is is a high chance we would be in the position the Yarbroughs are in right now. I can't wrap my mind around all this damage. It's insane. As soon as school gets out (JUST A FEW MORE DAYS!!!) I want to go start helping more flood victims because I know that if I had been in their shoes, with a flooded home, they would be helping me.

No comments:

Post a Comment