Friday, June 25, 2010

The Good Samaritan!

So...this happened quite a while ago but I never got around to blogging about it. Not being able to drive is very problematic, so I decided I would explore trails on my bike to see if any could lead to my friend Lane's house so that over the summer I could bike to see her. I was just turning down random roads and had been biking for about an hour when my peddles stopped going. They were rotating, but the rotating was leading anywhere. I didn't really know what to do because I was about 2-3 miles from my house. I started pushing my bike thinking, "Awesome! Really??? What in the world is wrong with my bike? It's not even that old and now I'm pushing it in heat for 3 miles." My happy, carefree, tree-hugging I love biking attitude quickly shifted. Some other bikers passed me and a few runners. They would just look at me pushing my back and then go on with there happy, carefree, tree-hugging biker/runner attitudes. However, there was this one guy that was running my way. He looked like he was in his 30's or so. As he got closer he took out his ipod head phones and asked me if I was all right. I told him that I was just biking along when all of the sudden the peddles stopped pushing me forward. He said the chain had just fallen off and he could easily put it back on. I was so thankful that the Lord had sent me a good Samaritan that was willing to stop his work-out and help me finish mine. Once the chain was on, his hands were pretty dirty. I told him I was sorry he had to stop and get all dirty but that I was very appreciative. He said no problem and then continued with his run. As I got back onto my bike, the chain was fixed, but now the peddles weren't moving at all. "Oh no," I thought, "what's going on now?" As I turned around to see if the man was still nearby I saw that he was already running back towards me. "Is it not working?" he asked. I told him that the peddles weren't moving at all. "Oh, your gears are just out of shift from the chain being off." He did a few more things than it was fixed. I remember saying thank you a billion times to him because he had been so nice to someone he hadn't even met. There's so many cruel, rude people nowadays, but there are still so much more good, and genuinely kind people. As I biked off I turned around to wave. He stayed on the trail and watched me for a few seconds to make sure that nothing else went wrong. My happy, carefree, tree-hugging I love biking, thankful for nice people attitude was back! God really showed me, through that man, what it looks like to be a good Samaritan.

No comments:

Post a Comment